This website is intended to be a tool that will allow men to be genuine with each other, and to let the power of God be a part of them through interactions with other Christian men. Here are some practices to allow you to get the most out of this experience:
- Be genuine. Expressing what you think others want to hear is why we end up feeling lonely and helpless. We spend our lives trying to be someone else, and we don’t know who we are anymore. Lay that part of you down when you take up your keyboard to start writing. Write what is in your heart. Be honest. Lay down your burdens. Put your hope and trust in Christ alone.
- Stay anonymous. For your own piece of mind, keep your anonymity sacred. Don’t use your name in your user name. Don’t use real names in your journal. Don’t use the proper names of your company, your church, your school, etc.
- Be positive towards others. Writing down your burdens, your fears and your weaknesses is one of the hardest and most courageous things you will do. Honor the courage of other men by lifting them up in your responses. Encourage their growth by your words. Don’t discourage them with your judgement (Matthew 7:1)
- Men only, please. There is nothing on this website that will control for women signing up. While we Christian men love, honor and cherish our most prized blessing on this earth, this domain is intended only for the sharing and strengthening of Christian men (so we can be better for our ladies, families and friends!). We are working on GodsWomenOnline right now. If you are a woman, please wait for that to become available.
A journal entry? Your journal is the whole reason that you write in God’s Men! By writing down your experiences, trials and triumphs, you can start the process of laying your burdens down. Then when you share them, God’s power can show up from your brothers!
To make a journal entry, you need to go to your “Me” page. Click on “Me”:
Now, click in the entry window, and type something:
Now click on “Post”. Your done! Note that you have a LOT of space available for your entries (400,000 characters), so write away.
Now that you have a journal entry, it’s time to share it. You can make it available only to you, share it with anyone who has an account on the site, or anyone who visits GodsMenOnline.com.
To select your sharing type, simply click on the “Site Members” tab under your entry:
As you can see, there are 3 different privacy settings for your journal entries:
- Public – Available to anyone who visits the website.
- Site Members – Visible to anyone who is signed up on the website.
- Only Me – Is only visible to you
Make your choice. No need to “save” your settings… they update automatically.
Groups is where the real blessing are! You can create a group and invite others to join. When you create a group, you will have the option to share your journal entries with ONLY your group members as well.
To create a group, you can use one of two different methods. Either hover over “My Groups” at the top of the page and select “Create a Group”:
Or you can simply click on “My Groups” at the top of the page. This will take you to “My Groups” page, and you can select “Create a Group” under the main page banner:
Either way, you will go to the “Groups” page, and now select “Create Group”, and you will be presented with a dialogue box:
Enter a unique name for your group, and a description. Under “Privacy”, select a privacy setting for your group. One of:
- Open: Available to all site members without permission
- Closed: Open to members by invitation only, but they can see the group and asked to be admitted
- Secret: The group is not searchable/visible, and is available to others via invitation only
Select “Create Group”, and you will be presented with a journal entry for your group page:
You’re done! Now you can start sharing with your group.
Wouldn’t it be nice to keep all of your journal entries in one place regardless of where you are sharing them? Well, this is where this gets cool. GodsMenOnline keeps track of your personal writing all under “Me”, regardless of where you are writing.
There are three ways to post entries into your groups.
- Navigate to your groups page by selecting “My Groups” from the navigation bar at the top of the page.
- Start typing a group to search for one of your groups, or simply select from the drop down.
- Type your journal entry
- Select “Post”
- Done! You’ve now posted an entry to your group.
- Navigate to your journal by selecting “Me” from the navigation bar.
- Your method now will be exactly the same as Method 1
- You can post journal entries directly to your group. From any journal entry that has been posted to a group, at the top of the entry you will see your user name followed by the group name
- Click on the name of the group (in this case “My first group”
- You will be whisked away to your groups page. Make an entry there. When you make an entry there, it will ALSO show up in your journal on the “Me” page
- Make an entry and you’re done!
There are 2 ways to invite someone to your group. One is clean and easy, the other… not go good.
Method 1: Invite men that are already members.
- Navigate to the page of the group that you want to invite someone to.
- On that page, click on the “Invite” button.
- Clicking on the “Invite” button will bring up the invitation dialogue box.
- You can search for users via their username (remember, GodsMenOnline is anonymous). Once you find the user that you want to invite, select “Invite to Group”
- The invitee will receive a notification in their Groups page that they have an invitation waiting. They will need to just select “Accept Invitation” and they’re in!
Method 2: Invite men that are NOT already site members.
Unfortunately, the functionality is not in the website yet to be able to extend invitations directly via email address. But it’s coming soon!
- Send an email, call or someone invite one of your friends to sign up to the site.
- Have them let you know their username.
- Follow the steps above in Method 1.
Sometimes it becomes necessary to change your password. To change it:
- Click on “Me” in the navigation bar at the top of the page
- Now, along the right side of the page, select “Settings”
- First, fill in your existing password
- Now, type in a new password
- Select “Save”, and you’re done